Saturday, July 25, 2009

"Stick a fork in him - he's done!"

Yeah that's right, I'm done. After two sessions of 28 radiation treatments each, totalling 56, and chemo treatments done concurrently both times, I am finally done with all the treatments that I think (and hope and pray) I will be needing. We won't know how successful this session went until after some final testing and screenings are done in late August. I probably won't do another update until after those tests. I/we fully expect, and pray, for a clean bill of health at that time. We will just have to wait and see.

However, until then I/we are glad it is over. We were getting pretty tired of driving up to Durham, staying in a motel, eating out all of our meals (that does get old), and generally just getting bored with the whole thing. I was very fortunate throughout this second session in that I didn't experience any of the difficulties I did the first time around with either the tiredness or nausea problems. I had a much easier time of it. The only ill effects I felt was some radiation burns that were like a bad sunburn, that was about it. I attribute a lot of my good fortune to many of you who prayed hard and often for me throughout this whole ordeal. Thank you all for that and keep me in your prayers up until the end of August please and help me get a clean bill report.

Also on Tuesday, we picked up my Mother from the airport. She has come to visit us for two weeks and we are having a great time visiting. On Saturday we head to Myrtle Beach for a week and my oldest daughter's family (Jackie) will be coming to visit for part of that time. We look forward to having a grand time with the grand kids. We plan to do some boating, swimming, playing, and just relaxing. Then, after that I am headed off to Wheeling, WV to put a roof on a rental house I own up there (my brother and two friends will be doing the bulk of the work). Then I have 3 friends coming down from Wheeling to this area to play golf for four days. Annette also has planned a trip out to the west coast, Oregon, to visit her sister and brother-in-law. Our August is getting busy with us getting back to living.

Well folks, I guess that is it for another update. Thanks again for all your prayers and cards throughout this whole long process. You don't know how much it meant to us both.

With Love

Drew & Annette


  1. Glad to hear that you are done with your treatments and that you had a better time dealing with the side effects. We hope to see you in Wheeling when you come up. When are you coming up this way?

  2. Congratulations on finishing your marathon treatments!! Have a wonderful August. So glad that you're visiting with your mom and catching up with some people.