Monday, September 14, 2009

So Far, So Good

Hello All

Just a brief update to let you know that I have restarted my treatments again after the little setback that I had a week before last requiring a short hospital stay. This past Friday Annette and I were back up to Duke early for blood work and doctor's consultation before we went in for my chemo infusion. We waited 3 hours between appointments and then it was a little over 4 hours for them to give me the juice. It makes for a long day for us, about 12.5 hours up and back along with the treatments but it's better than all those weeks we had to stay in the area.

They reduced my dosage by 20% for the two drugs to see how that would affect me and so far, so good. I am on 3 anti-nausea drugs daily and they seemed to be doing the job. My appetite is fair, not great but OK. My energy level is fairly decent too but my endurance is off I'm sure. I can tell by how far I can walk our dog. I haven't played golf in 3+ weeks and I may see if I can swing a club later this week. Mostly this is due to a strained stomach which hurts when I swing (probably a combination of the tumors and straining from the puking I was doing when I got sick).

The doctor said that depending on how my blood work turns out this coming Friday, she may try and return my dosage for one of the chemos back up to 100% as obviously she would prefer me to have the strongest dosage I can handle. We shall see what will be will be. Oh, also, my Doctor, Hope Uronis, said she just presented my case in front of an interdisciplinary doctors group up at Duke for consultation as she said "nothing has gone normal for me so far and she wanted to get their advise." She said they agreed with her approach and we will just have to see how the cards fall.

I had hoped to load a couple of pictures of my newest granddaughter herein but haven't been able to figure out how to do it by downloading off of Robin's blog into my blog. Techno wheenie I am not. Good looking now that is another story! Little Vivian is apparently doing great and all is going well at home. Her big sister, Marjorie, just loves to feed her and help Mommy out. She is going to be a big helper. My only grandson, Reece, Jackie's second, turned 5 this past week. They are all doing well down in Flordia and enjoying being back in school. Emma changed schools this year from private to a charter public school and is loving it. She is in 3rd grade. That leaves little Adeline the only one home now with Jackie.

Well, I guess that is it for now folks. Annette and I will be celebrating our 3rd anniversary on the 17th and her 39th birthday on the 19th. We are planning a little trip out to the Outer Banks on 10/3 to stay in a timeshare. Till next time, please keep those prayers and well wishes coming our way. We need them more than ever.

Love
Drew

1 comment:

  1. Dear Robin,

    I just heard of Drew's passing this past weekend. He and I had served together while on recruiting duty in the Ninth Coast Guard District. I've stayed in touch with him over the years, and he told me of his illness and his courage of fighting it.

    Drew lived life to the fullest ... in the words of Tim McGraw's song, "Live like you are dying" ... Drew lived every minute of it - and the photos and words he noted in this blog told the story of his joy and excitement of life.

    God bless the Wojtanik family as you mourn during the period of sorrow.

    Sincerely,

    Vince Patton
    Master Chief Petty Officer of the Coast Guard, Retired

    ReplyDelete